Spawning ping for packages.macports.org failed

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Mon Feb 29 07:09:17 PST 2016

On Feb 28, 2016, at 11:04 PM, Adam Mercer <ramercer at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have however found something else weird with this machine, when
> trying to install a port I sometimes get the following:
>
> :debug:archivefetch failed verification with key
> /opt/local/share/macports/macports-pubkey.pem
> :debug:archivefetch openssl output: couldn't create pipe: too many open files
> :warn:archivefetch Failed to verify signature for archive!

lsof might help you find the culprit - but yeah, you're going to get strange failures if you're hitting resource limits.

> This machine is sitting in a data centre in California and I'm
> currently talking with the admin who stood it up to try and get to the
> bottom of this as something is very weird...

I've found over time that a reboot will 'fix' these kind of issues with Mac OS X running remotely if you need it to work right away (and give yourself some time to figure out the real issue and fix the root cause if possible).

--
Daniel J. Luke