Octave 4.x?

Ray Zimmerman rz10 at cornell.edu
Tue Jan 19 09:11:58 PST 2016

I am not able to build either octave-devel-rc or octave-devel-release on my machine with OS X 10.11.2 and Xcode 7.2. It fails with the following error …

:info:build   MAKEINFO octave.info
:info:build   TEXI2DVI octave.dvi
:info:build   MAKEINFO octave.html
:info:build You don't have a working TeX binary (tex) installed anywhere in
:info:build your PATH, and texi2dvi cannot proceed without one.  If you want to use
:info:build this script, you'll need to install TeX (if you don't have it) or change
:info:build your PATH or TEX environment variable (if you do).  See the --help
:info:build output for more details.
:info:build
:info:build For information about obtaining TeX, please see http://tug.org/texlive,
:info:build or do a web search for TeX and your operating system or distro.

I found https://trac.macports.org/ticket/46105, so I suspect that installing texlive-basic would fix this, but I already have the MacTex 2015 distribution installed in /Library/TeX/texbin/, which is in my path. How can I get it to see and use that successfully?

Also, does anyone know why I got this error for 4.x and not for 3.8.2?

Thanks,

     Ray