serial and parallel hdf5

Eric A. Borisch eborisch at macports.org
Wed Jan 20 09:18:44 PST 2016

The 'parallel' version of HDF5 still supports all of the serial
features; it additionally provides the ability to use MPI I/O for
distributed HDF5 R/W. You need to select parallel IO explicitly in
your code with all call to H5Pset_fapl_mpio(...) (for example) with
the 'parallel' version -- otherwise you get the standard serial
methods.

Said differently: install the parallel version of HDF5; if you run
into something you feel you can't do with it that you could with the
'non-parallel' version, let me know.

Thanks,
  - Eric