MacPorts for non-Internet-connected networks

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jan 27 16:05:42 PST 2016

> On Jan 27, 2016, at 3:42 PM, John Oliver <joliver at john-oliver.net> wrote:
>
> I want to be able to use MacPorts on a network that isn't connected to
> the Internet.  Googling hasn't helped much... someone else who asked
> about this years ago was told they could probably write a HOWTO for the
> wiki, but clearly never did :-)
>
> I'm assuming I can install the package, put ports.tar.gz on a web
> server, and... here's where I'm really not sure.  wget / curl the entire
> distfiles.macports.org/ site?  I have to imagine that would be pretty
> darn big, and I don't need all the history of old versions.
>
> I sawa  mention that 'port fetch repodef:ansible' may get everything I
> need for ansible.  I can test that, but I'd really like to get the
> latest version and all dependencies for everything, without the history,
> so I can 'port install whateveriwant'
>
> After that, clearly, the next step would be to come up with a way to
> just grab deltas, so i don't have to transfer gigabytes every time I
> want to update one package.
>
> Any ideas, hints, suggestions?  I have to imagine someone else has done
> this...

So, you clearly have some way to connect to the Internet, because you're emailing us, and you're talking about being able to fetch files. So how would you get the files from the Internet to the non-Internet-connected network?

If you have a server that is connected to the Internet and to the non-Internet-connected network, you could set up a private MacPorts mirror on that server. You would tell your server to connect periodically to rsync.macports.org and get all the modules. After the initial sync, rsync will only transfer deltas. But it's large, since it contains source code for most ports (currently 121GB), and binaries for many ports for many different versions of OS X (currently 342GB). If you want to try this route, let me know; I'll write up some instructions for setting up a mirror server.