Macports fails to build in macOS 10.12 Sierra

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at apple.com
Sun Jun 19 20:52:24 PDT 2016

> On Jun 19, 2016, at 17:15, Mark Anderson <emer at emer.net> wrote:
>
> Jeremy, I'm still interested in a answer as to what is covered by this:
>
> Further, Apple agrees that You will not be bound by the foregoing confidentiality terms with regard to technical information about pre-release Apple Software and services disclosed by Apple at WWDC (Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference), except that You may not post screenshots, write public reviews or redistribute any pre-release Apple Software or services.
>
> Genuinely, not sarcastically or politically. I have no interest in losing my developer program membership. What about Sierra and iOS 10 can we talk about based on this clause? I had thought it was stuff like this, but I appear to have been mistaken.

Hey Mark,

My personal and unaffiliated (Apple hat is off) strict interpretation of this is that you can discuss anything that was made publicly available by Apple through public announcements but nothing more.  In the past, these restrictions were much tighter, but they have loosened up quite a bit over the past few years alongside the public betas.  I suggest you reach out to Apple WWDR for clarification on the terms if you are uncertain (and I would be extremely happy to be wrong if they state otherwise), but it's always good to be on the safe side.  As someone else mentioned on the thread, Apple did not disclose MacPorts interoperability with Sierra, so a strict interpretation of the agreement would suggest keeping a lid on it with respect to MacPorts and filing radars at http://bugreport.apple.com for any compatibility issue you run into (and I'd welcome getting pinged about such issues, so I can look into them personally).

Also note that in the past, such restrictions loosened once the first public beta was made available, so it's possible that such open discussion will be ok once that happens.

--Jeremy