Why do so many builds fail?

David Evans devans at macports.org
Wed Mar 9 09:12:32 PST 2016

On 3/9/16 8:52 AM, Gustaf Neumann wrote:
> Am 09.03.16 um 16:59 schrieb David Evans:
>> On 3/9/16 12:05 AM, Bachsau wrote:
>>> Today I was running an upgrade and it failed building webkit2-gtk and I'm somewhat pissy about this, as I don't want
>>> to be forced debugging ports before I can continue with my coding. Is there any stable release of macports or and how
>>> comes that buggy ports make it into the ports tree all the time? Doesn't anyone ever test his creations before
>>> publishing them?
>> An update was committed last evening (r146463) which seemed to work on initial testing but now is failing on El Capitan
>> only AFAICT.
> for what it is worth: webkit2-gtk was rebuild on my 10.11.3 notebook today successfully.
>
> all the best
> -g
>
> ~% sudo port info -v webkit2-gtk
> webkit2-gtk @2.11.91_1 (www, gnome)
> Variants:             debug, [+]gtk2, minibrowser, quartz, universal, [+]x11

> Homepage:             http://webkitgtk.org/
>
> Extract Dependencies: xz
> Build Dependencies:   cmake, gperf, gtk-doc, pkgconfig, python27, py27-simplejson
> Library Dependencies: atk, at-spi2-atk, bison, cairo, flex, fontconfig, freetype, enchant, geoclue2, glib2,
> gobject-introspection, gstreamer1, gstreamer1-gst-plugins-bad, gstreamer1-gst-plugins-base, gstreamer1-gst-plugins-good,
> gtk3, harfbuzz-icu, hyphen, icu, libnotify, libpng, libsecret, libsoup, libxml2, libxslt,
>                       sqlite3, webp, zlib, mesa, xorg-libXt, gtk2
> Conflicts with:       webkit2-gtk-devel
> Platforms:            darwin, freebsd
> License:              LGPL-2+ BSD
> Maintainers:          jeremyhu at macports.org, devans at macports.org
>
> ~% sudo port installed webkit2-gtk
> The following ports are currently installed:
>   webkit2-gtk @2.11.3_1+gtk2+llvm37+video
>   webkit2-gtk @2.11.90_0+gtk2+x11
>   webkit2-gtk @2.11.91_0+gtk2+x11
>   webkit2-gtk @2.11.91_1+gtk2+x11 (active)

Thanks for the additional data point.  It did fail, however, on the El Capitan buildbot last night so something's going
on.  I'm doing a clean build now to see if I can reproduce the issue.

It would help if Bachsau would comment on the details of his failure.  Actually, best thing is to file a ticket with,
at least, the following information:

Was this on El Capitan or another version of OS X?  Can you attach (to the ticket) a copy of your build log (compressed)
from a clean build showing the failure mode?  What variants are you using?  Anything else relevant?

Thanks, Dave