port terminates under OS X 10.11.4

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 20:29:24 PDT 2016

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 10:50 PM, Merton Campbell Crockett <
m.c.crockett at roadrunner.com> wrote:

> I upgraded to OS X 10.11.4 this afternoon.  Also, I upgraded Xcode to
> Xcode 7.3.  I thought that I should check for any MacPorts updates and
> encountered the following error.
>
> Error: Current platform "darwin 15" does not match expected platform
> "darwin 14"
> Error: If you upgraded your OS, please follow the migration instructions:
> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration
>
> OS platform mismatch
>     while executing
> "mportinit ui_options global_options global_variations"
> Error: /opt/local/bin/port: Failed to initialize MacPorts, OS platform
> mismatch
>
> It seems strange that the Darwin version would change with OS X 10.11.4.
> Have I just been “lucky” with using the port command since upgrading to OS
> X 10.11?

You've been lucky, yes; past OS upgrades without following the Migration
steps have led to lots of pain for people, as applications continue to work
but libraries can end up quite broken.
You need to do more than just reinstall MacPorts base, unless you want to
end up with an impossible mess.