ports install but not from source (no distfiles)

Tabitha McNerney tabithamc at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 08:26:50 PDT 2016

Hi,

I have a Mac running OS X Yosemite 10.10.5. I made and installed MacPorts
2.3.3 from source on this machine (with Xcode 7.2.1). All seems well (I've
been using MacPorts for many years).

After sudo port selfupdate runs successfully, when I attempt to install a
new port with the proverbial "port install xyz" where xyz is the name of
the port, the port installs fine but the port's distfile does not show up
in the expected location. Take ncurses for example, for my standard
configuration (where the prefix is /opt/local) I should see both:

/opt/local/var/macports/distfiles/ncurses

and:

/opt/local/var/macports/distfiles/ncurses/ncurses-6.0.tar.gz

But I see neither. Yet, after the port install, I do see:

/opt/local/bin/ncurses6-config

and:

/opt/local/bin/ncursesw6-config

Interestingly, both of those files have date stamps of August 26 2015.

This strikes me as very peculiar but maybe I've done something wrong or
maybe I have a compromised Mac? Or maybe someone is trying to hack MacPorts
such as a possible MITM? These days one can never be too cautious
considering all of the attacks on Apple including "friendly fire
<http://www.zdziarski.com/blog/?p=5928>".

What did I miss? Thanks.

-T