ports install but not from source (no distfiles)

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 08:34:50 PDT 2016

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 11:26 AM, Tabitha McNerney <tabithamc at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have a Mac running OS X Yosemite 10.10.5. I made and installed MacPorts
> 2.3.3 from source on this machine (with Xcode 7.2.1). All seems well (I've
> been using MacPorts for many years).
>
> After sudo port selfupdate runs successfully, when I attempt to install a
> new port with the proverbial "port install xyz" where xyz is the name of
> the port, the port installs fine but the port's distfile does not show up
> in the expected location. Take ncurses for example, for my standard
> configuration (where the prefix is /opt/local) I should see both:

MacPorts has had the ability to install prebuilt packages when a port has a
compatible license and is requested with default variants for many years.
It's only relatively recently that we've had the ability to *build* those
packages, though (buildbot infrastructure and storage). If you watch the
install closely, you'll see it trying to download a prebuilt package before
downloading distfiles and building locally.

If you need to have things only built locally, you can use the -s option or
modify the "buildfromsource" option
in /opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf. (If you've been using a MacPorts
installation on that machine for a long time, you may want to review that
file against /opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf.default to see what
options have been added and maybe change their defaults if needed.)