Poll: should Trac send email notifications when adding or replacing an attachment?

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Thu Nov 3 09:46:57 CET 2016

On 3 November 2016 at 09:30, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> 1- Do you agree there is no need for (this many) notifications concerning changes to attachments (= you never missed it)?

No. I have always been annoyed by the fact that some users (me
included) uploaded an attachment and then I had to tell everyone
explicitly that a new attachment was there, and some users (me
included) forgot.

> 2- Do you agree that there should be control over which attachment changes trigger a notification (e.g. only for new attachments)?

My opinion is not so strong here, but I'm inclined to say that it's
usually interesting to know about a replaced attachment as well.
Someone would complain about all the things that are wrong in the
attachment, the submitter fixes the problems, but then nobody is aware
that those things have been changed.

> 3- Do you agree that ideally this should be a per-user setting?

This cannot hurt, but as you said this is not up to us to implement
and you should ask upstream.

The only "problem" with per-user setting is that:
- if notifications are turned off for everyone, almost everyone is at
least aware that an additional note has to be sent to let everyone
know the attachment has been added or modified when some important
change has been made
- if notifications are turned on for everyone, no such messages are needed
- if this would be per-user setting, users uploading attachment might
get more confused about whether or not to leave an additional comment
like "I have implemented everything you asked for, I guess this is now
ready to be committed" (or anything else). And then people might end
up with three notifications (attachment deleted, attachment added, the
additional comment by the user) or no notification at all.

Mojca

PS: Isn't that question more suitable for the development mailing
list? Regular users that don't maintain any port might open a ticket
every now and then (some of them never do) and if there is anyone
uploading attachment, it's usually them. On the other hand people
maintaining some ports are supposed to read the development mailing
list and it's usually them who get over-flooded with various emails
from tickets.