Poll: should Trac send email notifications when adding or replacing an attachment?

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Thu Nov 3 09:48:04 CET 2016

Hi,

----- On 3 Nov, 2016, at 09:30, René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com wrote:

> I've asked the administrators if something can be done about it. Not to insult
> anyone, but to put it bluntly, it does seem they cannot be bothered by
> something they consider an upstream problem namely that Trac doesn't have a
> feature to let users decide what notifications they want

I'm just giving you a realistic estimate that we won't spend time on this. We
have more important things to fix in Trac than a double email.

> (and I agree this isn't for us to fix though evidently someone could try and
> submit a patch).

That someone could be you! That would be very welcome!

> The poll is intended to get an idea how to proceed:
> 1- Do you agree there is no need for (this many) notifications concerning
> changes to attachments (= you never missed it)?
> 2- Do you agree that there should be control over which attachment changes
> trigger a notification (e.g. only for new attachments)?
> 3- Do you agree that ideally this should be a per-user setting?

Option 4: I'm glad we now have notifications for attachments. It used to be
quite annoying that you wouldn't notice if somebody attached a patch to a
ticket without leaving a comment.

> (The questions are worded to avoid bias towards preference for the status quo
> through silent agreement.)

They are, however, not worded to avoid bias against the status quo.

--
Clemens Lang