10.6.8 and ffmpeg

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 10:49:48 CET 2016

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> I'm pretty sure one can make it build without 10.7 SDK, it will just
> take quite a bit of work to do so. Perhaps you know if there is an
> elegant way to actually patch the code in a way that would be
> acceptable for upstream in case we manage to find a sufficient set of
> patches (other than using a bunch of #if statements all over the
> place)?

How could you not use a bunch of #ifs if the code actually uses 10.7+ API calls
that have to be filtered out?

Well, there *is* a way to do it following Qt's approach with d-pointers, where
you put new stuff and things that don't work across the board in a private
class, but that only reduces the number of #ifs required for features that
aren't available on all supported platforms. And it's (probably) trickier to do
right in C than C++ (as far as that's relevant here). Of course it also requires
a far more extensive refactoring effort than simply putting #ifs all over the
place.

And such an effort and extensive changes would probably be deemed out of
proportion upstream if they're only to support a legacy OS, unless you can make
a case that it'll prove useful for future introduction of other features that
require a newer SDK than they'd like to require.

R.