Macports needs a little marketing ....

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sun Nov 6 06:16:20 CET 2016

On 2016-11-06 02:16, Ken Cunningham wrote:
> Yeah — what is needed, perhaps,  is an “App Store” for macports…

Like Pallet, the GUI for MacPorts? Unfortunately it is not in a usable
state at the moment.

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/MacPortsGUI

>> On Nov 5, 2016, at 5:12 PM, Michael David Crawford <mdcrawford at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Perhaps Debian's popularity contest would help with this.  It tracks
>> which programs one runs, and how frequently.

We already have something like that to gather statistics. If you want to
opt-in, just install this port: sudo port install mpstats

This was originally developed during Google Summer of Code 2011. It is
not widely used, though, and the web application has not been updated
for years. The presentation of the statistics is still very basic.

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/MacPortsStatisticsGSoC2011
https://trac.macports.org/wiki/StatisticsIdeas

The main problem with both of these is that we got them started as GSoC
projects, but afterwards nobody was interested in extending or even just
maintaining them.

Rainer