Use what arpack & atlas variants for use with octave?

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 19:50:10 CET 2016

> On Nov 6, 2016, at 1:27 PM, Marius Schamschula <lists at schamschula.com> wrote:
>

> On Nov 6, 2016, at 12:19 PM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com <mailto:murrayeisenberg at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> I’m reinstalling arpack, atlas, and octave during completion of MacPorts migration to macOS Sierra.
>>
>> On El Capitan, my installed ports included:
>>
>>    arpack @3.3.0_3+atlas+gfortran
>>    atlas @3.10.2_2
>>   octave @4.0.3_1+app+atlas+docs+fltk+gfortran+graphicsmagick+qt4gui+sound-accelerate-java
>>
>> I began now with:
>>
>>    sudo port install arpack -accelerate+atlas
>>
>> (1) Should I have added +gfortran there, since for octave I’m going to be including variant +gfortran ?
>>
>> (2) Is there any particular reason to use a +gccxx variant with atlas?
>
> The choice of which version of gfortran is used for arpack should be the same as the version used to build atlas (and for that matter octave).
>
> Unfortunately, atlas currently only supports gcc5, not gcc6. See https://trac.macports.org/ticket/52606 <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/52606>

I don’t understand about “which version of gfortran”: arpack, like octave, offers +gfortran but without any indication of version of gfortran.
And atlas does not offer any variant (at least directly) of fortran.

---
Murray Eisenberg			murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
503 King Farm Blvd #101	Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334