Macports needs a little marketing

Guido Soranzio guido.soranzio at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 11:51:19 CET 2016

> On Nov 7, 2016, at 00:59, [ftp83plus] wrote:
>
> Newbie here: how it is different from Pallet?

Pallet makes use of the MacPorts_Framework, the official way to
interact with the Tcl-based APIs by the Cocoa programs.

JPortsUI parses directly the output of the ‘port’ command
(“screen scraping”) and could stop working if a new release of
the command would change the output format even for simple aesthetic
reasons.

According to Stephen’s description, “also included are data
exploration tools that can enlighten one as to the current state
of FOSS on the Mac”. This is a really worthwhile intent by its author,
since JPortsUI indexes the properties of the table entries and lets
you filter and sort them in new productive ways (see the “Totals” tab).

A more stylish GUI written in JavaFX could easily embed a WebView
and show fancy information about the software. JPortsUI already
gets the “favicons” from the original websites, therefore I think
that Stephen already had plans to implement a sort of “App Store”.
Even many Linux distros (mainly Ubuntu) aren’t using Synaptic anymore
and using shopping bag icons for their Software Centres.

Guido

--
https://github.com/gui-dos/Guigna