MacPorts question

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Oct 7 17:23:28 CEST 2016

> On Oct 7, 2016, at 10:13 AM, mf2k at macports.org wrote:
>

>> On Oct 7, 2016, at 8:18 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

>>> I just installed and “load”ed nginx and added a firewall rule for it. It survived reboot for me!
>>
>> Does it survive upgrading (or downgrading) nginx?
>
> I won’t know until it gets updated next.

If you wanted to test, you could downgrade:

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/InstallingOlderPort

> In any event, I don’t think it is an issue. I think when you are updating the port, you should relaunch the startupitem as part of that upgrade process. What if the startupitem changed? We can know as Macports committers, but normal users generally will not know. So it is best practice to do such.

Restarting the computer is equivalent to unloading and then loading the launchd plist. I don't remember the specifics as it was months ago, and if I had even been able to specify exactly when the problem occurred that might have helped me look for a solution. What I remember is that I would seem to get things into a working state, and then something would happen--restart? upgrade port?--that would cause the firewall to be blocking connections again, even though the program was listed as allowed in the preferences.

I want my Tiger firewall back, where I just specify that traffic on port 80 should be allowed. Simple. Works.