gcc6 build failed on Snow Leopard

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Oct 14 17:07:00 CEST 2016

On Oct 14, 2016, at 09:51, Richard L. Hamilton <rlhamil at smart.net> wrote:

>> On Oct 13, 2016, at 20:00, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 13, 2016, at 16:58, Richard L. Hamilton <rlhamil at smart.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> This was a build prerequisite for py27-numpy, so I can't build that either.  It failed both with and without +universal (I think I have the latter set as default).
>>
>> For some reason the 10.6 x86_64 builder didn't build it either so we didn't have a gcc6-6.2.0_0.darwin_10.x86_64.tbz2 package. It's not easy to find old buildbot logs so I don't know if it failed because of the same bootstrap failure you saw or for some other reason.
>>
>> Josh forced a build now, and it built successfully, so if you clean and try again, without the universal variant, you'll get the package from us without having to compile it yourself.
>
> That worked, thanks!
>
> I see that a similar situation applied to gcc49 and dpkg, that I couldn't build them for myself with +universal, but pre-built binaries were available without it.  That might well apply to the other things that aren't building for me too, except they're libraries, and I already have a bunch of dependencies on them in place, so that wouldn't be a good idea unless I redid everything without universal.

"Bootstrap comparison failure" is an error message specific to the GCC build system. GCC is a very large and complex piece of software, and I don't understand its build system or why this error sometimes happens for some people.

If you are also having problems building other less complex software, like dpkg, would you please show us the main.log file from those failures? They may be easier to diagnose.