gcc6 build failed on Snow Leopard

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Sat Oct 15 01:10:00 CEST 2016

> On Oct 14, 2016, at 11:07, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>
> On Oct 14, 2016, at 09:51, Richard L. Hamilton <rlhamil at smart.net> wrote:

>>> For some reason the 10.6 x86_64 builder didn't build it either so we didn't have a gcc6-6.2.0_0.darwin_10.x86_64.tbz2 package. It's not easy to find old buildbot logs so I don't know if it failed because of the same bootstrap failure you saw or for some other reason.
>>>
>>> Josh forced a build now, and it built successfully, so if you clean and try again, without the universal variant, you'll get the package from us without having to compile it yourself.
>>
>> That worked, thanks!
>>
>> I see that a similar situation applied to gcc49 and dpkg, that I couldn't build them for myself with +universal, but pre-built binaries were available without it.  That might well apply to the other things that aren't building for me too, except they're libraries, and I already have a bunch of dependencies on them in place, so that wouldn't be a good idea unless I redid everything without universal.
>
> "Bootstrap comparison failure" is an error message specific to the GCC build system. GCC is a very large and complex piece of software, and I don't understand its build system or why this error sometimes happens for some people.
>
> If you are also having problems building other less complex software, like dpkg, would you please show us the main.log file from those failures? They may be easier to diagnose.

dpkg +universal used to build with clang some time back according to my notes, but no more:

:info:build /usr/bin/llvm-g++-4.2 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H   -DLOCALEDIR=\"/opt/local/share/locale\" -DADMINDIR=\"/opt/local/var/db/dpkg\" -DLIBDIR=\"/opt/local/lib/dpkg\" -DLOCALLIBDIR=\"/usr/local/lib/dpkg\" -idirafter ../lib/compat -iquote . -I.. -I../lib -I/opt/local/include -fno-rtti -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wformat -Wformat-security -Wpointer-arith -Winit-self -Wwrite-strings -Wcast-align -Wshadow -pipe -Os -arch x86_64 -arch i386 -MT baselist.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/baselist.Tpo -c -o baselist.o baselist.cc
:info:build llvm-g++-4.2: -E, -S, -save-temps and -M options are not allowed with multiple -arch flags
:info:build gnumake[3]: *** [basecmds.o] Error 1
:info:build gnumake[3]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
:info:build llvm-g++-4.2: -E, -S, -save-temps and -M options are not allowed with multiple -arch flags
[...]

ditto with the default of gcc-4.2:

:info:build libtool: compile:  /usr/bin/gcc-4.2 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -idirafter ../../lib/compat -I../.. -DTEST_LIBCOMPAT=1 -I/opt/local/include -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wformat -Wformat-security -Wpointer-arith -Winit-self -Wwrite-strings -Wcast-align -Wshadow -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wnested-externs -Wbad-function-cast -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wold-style-definition -pipe -Os -arch x86_64 -arch i386 -MT libcompat_test_la-strnlen.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/libcompat_test_la-strnlen.Tpo -c strnlen.c -o libcompat_test_la-strnlen.o
:info:build gcc-4.2: -E, -S, -save-temps and -M options are not allowed with multiple -arch flags
[...]

Hardware Version: Mac mini (Mid 2007)
Model Identifier: Macmini2,1
Mac OS X 10.6.8 10K549 (Snow Leopard)