10.6.8 and ffmpeg

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 10:28:30 CET 2016

David Evans wrote:

> However, sdl/sdl2 provides the only audio/video outdev that we support in
> MacPorts which means that if you have to have one or the other. Without an
> outdev, ffplay will not be configured/built and you'll have no direct way to
> play audio/video with ffmpeg.

It's been too long since I configured and built ffmpeg for my own purposes, but
is SDL really the only outdev that's feasible to support on 10.6 ? I would have
assumed that there was a "more native" option, based on OpenGL for instance, but
I can be wrong.

That said, if ffplay is the only casualty when SDL is lacking, then maybe that's
a reasonable concession to make in order to keep supporting other unsupported OS
versions (and platforms)? I know, it's a useful little tool for taking a quick
look at or listen to content that cannot be opened by QuickTime, but I don't
think that's a huge collection given Perian still works perfectly on 10.6 .

Probably an open door, possibly a forbidden one: it may be relevant here to
block concerned ports at the latest supported version for legacy platforms?
That's the formal implementation of the advice given above (for port:ffmpeg) not
to update the port, but has the advantage that users will still be able to use
`port selfupdate && port upgrade outdated` without manual intervention. It'd
also give dependents more of an incentive to print a proper error - they can
then check on a known OS version or platform type instead of having to figure out
the installed version.

R.