command not found

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Sep 2 06:53:05 PDT 2016

> On Sep 2, 2016, at 7:54 AM, Ignatios Athanasiadis <ignathanas at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I tried to restore some files in my mac and they were restored unsuccesfully.
> Now whe I try to access macports I get a command like: command not found.
> Does this mean that I have lost all my ports?
>
> Many thanks.

This doesn't necessarily mean that anything is gone. It could just mean that your PATH has been reset to its default value.

Does /opt/local still exist? Does /opt/local/bin/port still exist? If so, proceed:

What happens if you run:

echo $PATH

Does it include /opt/local/bin? If not, fix your PATH definition in your ~/.profile or ~/.bash_profile.

If you follow Chris' suggestion to re-run the MacPorts installer, it will automatically fix your PATH for you, if that was the problem. It will also reinstall /opt/local/bin/port and the other parts of MacPorts, without affecting any ports you had installed.

You can also check /opt/local/var/macports/software. That's where your installed ports are stored. If that directory exists and contains lots of stuff, then your ports are still installed.