command not found

Ignatios Athanasiadis ignathanas at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 07:05:44 PDT 2016

The files, /opt/local and /opt/local/var/macports/software exist and when I run echo $PATH it includes the path /opt/local/bin.
However, the file /opt/local/bin/port does not exist.
Also when I used to run open whatever.pdf file a pdf file would open. Is this a macports related problem as well?
I may sound silly, sorry for my ignorance.