MySQL #2002 - No such file or directory

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Sep 7 08:43:10 PDT 2016

> On Sep 6, 2016, at 8:33 AM, Ignatios Athanasiadis <ignathanas at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I have followed the links below to generate a phpmyadmin server and link it to mysql.
>
> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/Apache2
> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/MySQL
> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/PHP
> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/MAMP
>
> and https://coolestguidesontheplanet.com/get-apache-mysql-php-and-phpmyadmin-working-on-osx-10-11-el-capitan/
>
> However I am getting the error :
> #2002 - No such file or directory — The server is not responding (or the local server's socket is not correctly configured).
>
> As stated in the last link I try to make a link to mysql.sock as:
> sudo mkdir /var/mysql
> sudo ln -s /tmp/mysql.sock /var/mysql/mysql.sock
> However, there is no file mysql.sock in /tmp/.
>
> Do you have any suggestions?
> Thank you very much in advance.

I think the third-party instructions you're referring to are talking about a non-MacPorts version of MySQL, which may put its socket file in a different location. MacPorts MySQL versions don't put their socket in either /tmp or /var/mysql nor is there a good reason for you to try to make it do so. Just use the socket file from the location where MacPorts puts it.