MacPorts missing links

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 15:05:49 PDT 2016

On Sat, Sep 10, 2016 at 5:51 PM, David Epstein <David.Epstein at warwick.ac.uk>
wrote:

> What would happen if I gave one of your commands below, with argument a
> port that was still installed?

"port select --summary" reports as "none" in that case because the file
describing the previously selected option was removed and therefore is not
a valid setting. More to the point, if the options do not include a
MacPorts-installed one, then you can safely assume you do not have any
related port installed. For reference, your summary reports only one
setting for which a MacPorts port is installed: llvm 3.5 (mp-llvm-3.5) for
llvm.

"port select" cannot remove ports, nor should it affect any port builds (it
may actually do so, but this would be a bug that should be reported against
the port trying to use the `port select` symlink instead of an explicit
version). It is provided solely for user convenience, and should always be
safe with respect to both MacPorts and your system.

 What would happen if I gave one of your commands below, with argument a
> port that was still installed?

The default symlinks would be removed, if they exist. These would only
exist if you had done `port select` previously. They do not come from any
port, and no port should rely on their existence.