MacPorts missing links

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Sat Sep 10 15:10:43 PDT 2016

> On Sep 10, 2016, at 5:51 PM, David Epstein <David.Epstein at warwick.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 10 Sep 2016, at 19:38, Lawrence Velázquez <larryv at macports.org> wrote:
>>
>> Did you uninstall python27?
>
> I think so. The ls -l command above does not find /opt/local/bin/python*, except for symbolic links.
> What port command could I give to make sure?

"port installed python27 and active"

> What port command can I give to extirpate remnants of an uninstalled port, if there are any remnants?

There isn't one, to my knowledge. By definition, uninstalling a port removes its archive, which is how we could tell what files it installed.

IIRC the only "remnants" might be files created by a post-activate phase, which MacPorts does not track. Deactivation should remove everything else.

Your issue is not related to any of this, though.

> I ran “port select —summary” as you suggested and got the response
>
> Name       Selected  Options
> ====       ========  =======
> cython     none      none
> gcc        none      none
> ipython    none      none
> ipython2   none      none
> ipython3   none      none
> llvm       none      mp-llvm-3.5 none
> nosetests  none      none
> pip        none      none
> python     none      python26-apple python27-apple none
> python2    none      python26-apple python27-apple none
> python3    none      none

Okay, I was thinking that the groups would still have the stale setting, but they don't, so this won't help.

> I do not want to rely on my memory of which of these I have uninstalled. I need to be told by a reliable program. What would happen if I gave one of your commands below, with argument a port that was still installed?

Nothing will happen, I think, because the groups are already set to "none". What you could try is  explicitly setting and then unsetting:

	sudo port select --set python python27-apple
	sudo port select --set python none

And likewise for "python2". Unfortunately you don't have any Python 3 ports installed.

> My guess is that only the symbolic link would be removed, leaving the true file in place, but I would like to be sure before I take any action.

Correct; "port select" does not affect the contents of any ports.

vq