MacPorts missing links

David Epstein David.Epstein at warwick.ac.uk
Sun Sep 11 00:40:45 PDT 2016

> On 10 Sep 2016, at 23:10, Lawrence Velázquez <larryv at macports.org> wrote:

… snip …

>>> Did you uninstall python27?
>>
>> I think so. The ls -l command above does not find /opt/local/bin/python*, except for symbolic links.
>> What port command could I give to make sure?
>
> "port installed python27 and active”

Confusingly this gets an answer that is readily misinterpreted, namely
> None of the specified ports are installed.

In contrast
> port installed python27

does not (inadvertently) deceive: it gives
> The following ports are currently installed:
>   python27 @2.7.11_2

…snip…

>> I ran “port select —summary” as you suggested and got the response
>>
>> Name       Selected  Options
>> ====       ========  =======
>> cython     none      none
>> gcc        none      none
>> ipython    none      none
>> ipython2   none      none
>> ipython3   none      none
>> llvm       none      mp-llvm-3.5 none
>> nosetests  none      none
>> pip        none      none
>> python     none      python26-apple python27-apple none
>> python2    none      python26-apple python27-apple none
>> python3    none      none

…snip…

>  What you could try is  explicitly setting and then unsetting:
>
> 	sudo port select --set python python27-apple

I tried this and got:
> Selecting 'python27-apple' for 'python' failed: symlink: /opt/local/etc/select/python/current -> python27-apple: file already exists
So then I did
> ls -l /opt/local/etc/select/python/current
and got
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  admin  8  9 Jun 19:13 /opt/local/etc/select/python/current@ -> python27
This seems to me to indicate a bug in “port select —summary”. Firstly, it seems to answer incorrectly for inactive ports, like python27 in my case. I would have expected “port select —summary” to give python27 as an option. Secondly, it seems to incorrectly and indirectly imply that python26-apple and python27-apple are installed, which I think was your interpretation, but they aren’t installed, as I have checked with the “port installed” command.

It does feel as though I will, with the help of the list, be able to clean up my ports: I had been thinking that I would have to delete everything in /opt/local and start again.

David Epstein