MacPorts missing links

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Sun Sep 11 15:33:54 PDT 2016

> On Sep 11, 2016, at 6:29 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sep 11, 2016, at 5:24 PM, Brandon Allbery wrote:
>>> On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 6:22 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>>
>>> On my system I see the contents of that directory are provided by the following ports:
>>
>> I think they're complaining that the directory itself should have been cleaned up. We don't have the concept of files/directories shared between ports, so it just doesn't get listed and therefore doesn't get cleaned up.
>
> MacPorts does delete empty directories whenever a port is deactivated...

But not all the files in the etc/select tree come from ports.

	% port provides /opt/local/etc/select/**/current
	/opt/local/etc/select/gcc/current is not provided by a MacPorts port.
	/opt/local/etc/select/python/current is not provided by a MacPorts port.
	/opt/local/etc/select/python2/current is not provided by a MacPorts port.
	/opt/local/etc/select/python3/current is not provided by a MacPorts port.
	/opt/local/etc/select/virtualenv/current is not provided by a MacPorts port.

This is cut from the same cloth as the symlink issue: The selection mechanism is implemented half in base and half in ports, and there's something of an impedance mismatch.

vq