MacPorts missing links

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Sep 11 15:36:08 PDT 2016

> On Sep 11, 2016, at 5:33 PM, Lawrence Velázquez <larryv at macports.org> wrote:

>>> I think they're complaining that the directory itself should have been cleaned up. We don't have the concept of files/directories shared between ports, so it just doesn't get listed and therefore doesn't get cleaned up.
>>
>> MacPorts does delete empty directories whenever a port is deactivated...
>
> But not all the files in the etc/select tree come from ports.
>
> 	% port provides /opt/local/etc/select/**/current
> 	/opt/local/etc/select/gcc/current is not provided by a MacPorts port.
> 	/opt/local/etc/select/python/current is not provided by a MacPorts port.
> 	/opt/local/etc/select/python2/current is not provided by a MacPorts port.
> 	/opt/local/etc/select/python3/current is not provided by a MacPorts port.
> 	/opt/local/etc/select/virtualenv/current is not provided by a MacPorts port.
>
> This is cut from the same cloth as the symlink issue: The selection mechanism is implemented half in base and half in ports, and there's something of an impedance mismatch.

Gotcha, so if you did not have something selected by that group, MacPorts would have removed the directory when the last port providing the select group was deactivated, but because something was selected, its "current" file prevented the deactivate phase from deleting the directory. So we should also fix "port select" to remove empty directories when removing the "current" symlink.