MacPorts missing links

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Tue Sep 13 00:34:34 PDT 2016

> On Sep 13, 2016, at 3:06 AM, David Epstein <David.Epstein at warwick.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> One thing that seems to be brought out (by the erroneous answer by “port provides ligpng.la")

It's not erroneous, in the sense that libpng.la really does exist and belong to the libpng port. The problem, as Ryan had already noted, is that the mechanism for deleting .la files that is in the current base release mistakenly leaves symlinks behind.

> is that I made a mistake when updating the OS, to have updated my MacPorts installation, rather than reinstalled. I have been hankering after reinstalling, but Ryan persuaded me not to. This seems to be a new bit of evidence that I ought to reinstall

Reinstalling would not help, as Sinan's reply demonstrated. The libpng build would again generate libpng16.la and libpng.la, and base would then delete the former but not the latter. And you'd be back where you started.

This won't be fixed for you until the next MacPorts release.

vq
Sent from my iPhone