Remote ssh+X11 connections and DBus

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 13:04:34 PDT 2016

Hi,

Drawing some attention to some recent enhancements I've submitted to MacPorts' port:dbus (https://trac.macports.org/ticket/52257#comment:3) in hope of rallying some beta-testers.

I think many users who regularly work on a remote Mac using X11 for displaying probably noticed that applications relying on a session DBus ran into a limitation of the Mac DBus version. By default it relies on launchd for starting and setting/exporting the session address.
There's nothing in the code though that makes it impossible to start and run the daemon like it does on Linux/X11, including even auto-starting it tied to the X11 DISPLAY (so theoretically it should exit when you disconnect).

I've added a +x11 variant to port:dbus which unlocks that possibility and initial testing suggests it works.

I do only occasional remote work though, and it doesn't look that will change much soon because it turns out that there are other blockers running KDE (KF5) over a remote connection.

Hence the cross-post on the X11 users ML, in hope of reaching at least a few users who're just dying to try out their preferred Gnome/GTk apps remotely :)

Cheers,
René