A general upgrade question

William H. Magill magill at mac.com
Fri Sep 23 07:41:12 PDT 2016

I have two systems, an iMac and a Mac Mini.
The iMac doesn’t do much - mostly aspell, and so my update to Sierra went quite smoothly.

The Mac Mini on the other hand, is a bit more of a workhorse. Primarily acting as a web server.
And, as I updated to Sierra, I discovered to my chagrin that I had been practicing —If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
Evidently not updating any ports since I upgraded to El Capitan!
Oops.

To make a long story short.
Instead of first checking to see what kind of updating I needed to do before tackling the new Mac Ports, I just went ahead
and followed the migration guide.
Everything went smoothly until I hit the rebuiild phase:  ./restore_ports.tcl myports.txt

This command itself worked well — what happened was that the rebuild through lots of warning errors.
Typically of the type:

Error: p5.16-perl-ostype has been replaced by p5.22-perl-ostype; please install that instead.
Error: org.macports.configure for port p5.16-perl-ostype returned: obsolete port

In investigating, I noted that the command:
>sudo port outdated
No installed ports are outdated.

But that this command:
>sudo port obsolete
Error: Unrecognized action "port obsolete”

That behavior seems to be a bug, but I don’t know the expected behavior.

At any rate, what I was attempting to do was generate a list of those obsolete and therefore failed installs
to make manual installation possible.

In particular, I’m assuming that there is a parent install which included these as dependencies, and that if I
re-installed that, it would pick-up all of the others.
(I seem to have had a bunch of P5.16 modules installed, which should have been updated before I tried to begin the overall update.)

Is there an obvious way to find that parent?

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.12
# Macmini6,1 Intel Core i5 [2.5 Ghz - 4GB 1600MHz] OS X 10.12

magill at icloud.com
magill at mac.com
whmagill at gmail.com