macOS Sierra / 10.12 support - where are we?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Sep 22 04:32:56 PDT 2016

> On Sep 21, 2016, at 2:18 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 3:15 PM, Lawrence Velázquez <larryv at macports.org> wrote:
>> > I recall Ryan mentioning that he was doing so.
>>
>> I think that was just for Python modules.
>>
> No, the one I recall was yesterday immediately after Apple released Sierra, and specifically said he was kicking the buildbots to get Sierra builds going.

We've had a buildbot worker set up for Sierra since shortly after Apple released the Sierra GM on September 7. Any ports added or updated since then have already been built and packaged there, assuming the builds were successful. I've also manually kicked off several builds: some compilers, lots of libraries, all the python modules.

As of right now, we have packages for the following numbers of ports:

$ for DARWIN in $(seq 9 16); do printf "darwin_$DARWIN: " && find /opt/local/var/rsync/macports/packages -name "*darwin_$DARWIN*.rmd160" | cut -d / -f 8 | sort -u | wc -l; done
darwin_9:     3577
darwin_10:    15334
darwin_11:    12955
darwin_12:    16013
darwin_13:    16203
darwin_14:    19415
darwin_15:    12546
darwin_16:     4948

I'm not kicking off a build of "all" ports yet, because we've never tested that on our new buildbot configuration. I don't know if it would work at all; don't know if we brought over the necessary parts of the old config that knew what to do when the port name "all" was provided. We also haven't finished bringing over optimizations from the old setup that allowed the previous builds of all ports to complete in "only" several weeks. Specifically, we still need the optimization that tells the buildbot to skip builds of already-installed ports. Without those optimizations, trying to build all ports would just take too long. We also still need build failure emails to be sending correctly, so that maintainers will know about failures and can look into them. I'm working on that now.

Developers are welcome to kick off builds they think would be helpful, by logging in here and filling in the name of the port(s) in the "port list" field:

https://build.macports.org/builders/ports-10.12_x86_64-watcher

It's probably best not to try to build more than 100 ports at a time. And please try to verify beforehand that the ports you're triggering builds of have not already been built.

Developers with commit access who don't yet have access to log in to the buildbot may request access by emailing me.