speex vs speex-devel

Mihai Moldovan ionic at macports.org
Thu Apr 13 06:59:56 UTC 2017

On 04/01/2017 06:13 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> Since it looks like speex has been superseded by opus, I guess there won't be any further major development on speex, so I agree having -devel ports isn't useful anymore.

Well, probably not, but speex is/was notorious for releasing rcs and betas for a
very long time before the actual stable release. That was probably the reason
for having a -devel variant.

With newer speex versions, speex and speexDSP were split. Ironically, speexDSP
was never released as a stable version (or at least not yet, see my comment
above...), so when I updated the port(s) the only way to go was to put them both
to the same version, including stable speex and pre-release speexDSP. Otherwise,
we wouldn't have speexDSP, which programs do tend to use in addition to plain speex.

My idea was to keep them synched and once a stable version of any is released,
switch to that + whenever a new rc/beta/whatever is released after that bump the
-devel ports only.

I have no idea how likely that is anymore.

All that said: even while speex might be deprecated in favor of OPUS (and so is
SILK), it doesn't mean that development and usage is completely dead. Having no
speex implementation available would be a bad idea.

> Before actually removing them, the -devel ports should be replaced_by the non-devel ports for a time, to give users of the -devel ports a chance to upgrade to the non-devel ports.

Go ahead if you want to.

Mihai