building from source with libc++

db iamsudo at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 08:05:55 UTC 2017

Thanks Ken for the detailed post.

On 18 Apr 2017, at 17:45, Ken Cunningham <ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com> wrote:
> There are two issues:
> 1. cxx11 features required.
> Although you could say the Portfiles should all be updated as this is recognized, it is in the end MUCH easier to install a modern compiler on your system (say clang-3.8 or clang-3.9) and set that as the default compiler in macports.conf. Then you will use that as your default compiler and never see these errors either.

Clang's versioning seems not consistent.

$ clang --version
Apple LLVM version 5.1 (clang-503.0.40) (based on LLVM 3.4svn)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin12.6.0
Thread model: posix

Does this mean that I have 3.4 or something around that time of release?

What exact port should then I install in order to have a modern compiler as you suggest? llvm-4.0 or clang-4.0?

And which configuration in macports.conf? I don't seem to find the right option in the guide, https://guide.macports.org/chunked/internals.configuration-files.html.

> 2. properly setting the standard c++ library.

I'm now always building from source with libc++.

If I change compiler, what are the odds that I run into some other oddities with the installed ports built with the default compiler?