building from source with libc++

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Wed Apr 19 08:59:52 UTC 2017

On 19/04/17 09:51, db wrote:
> On 19 Apr 2017, at 10:13, Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/XcodeVersionInfo
>
> That doesn't tell me anything different from the output I posted. I still don't exactly know which clang version I have.

You cannot really compare the stock LLVM/Clang releases to the Apple
versions.

First, you need to understand the difference between LLVM and clang.
LLVM is the base framework for building compilers. Clang is just one
example of a frontend compiler based on that.

Apple takes a particular version of LLVM, and then builds its own
compiler on top. So Apples's clang compilers are not exactly comparable
to the stock versions. The line

Apple LLVM version 5.1 (clang-503.0.40) (based on LLVM 3.4svn)

tells you you have Apples 503.0.40 clang compiler, based on Apple's LLVM
5.1, which in turn was born from the orginal LLVM code based 'at some
point' around the 3.4 release... Thats as good as it gets.

LLVM (or clang) 3.4 is quite old. If you are looking to install a newer
clang compiler via macports, I would start with something like the clang
3.9 or 4.0 port (4.0 is quite new, so maybe some ports might have issues
with it more than 3.9).

Chris