building from source with libc++

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Wed Apr 19 20:05:03 UTC 2017

On 19 April 2017 at 21:34, Ken Cunningham wrote:
>> I'm currently fighting with cross-compiling (for i386 and ppc) on 10.6
>> and usually setting CC="gcc -arch ppc" is a much safer recipe than
>> making sure that the software consistently switches to obeying CFLAGS.
>
> I had mentioned a while back that I came across a project to bring Apple’s
> gcc -arch support to newer versions of gcc.
>
> I found that again. I haven’t tried it myself, but it appears to bring
> Apple’s gcc42 enhancements to newer gcc versions that support cxx11 and
> might be of use to you.
>
> It’s here: https://github.com/devernay/macportsGCCfixup

I've seen the (original) project, another nice project is there in
this forked repository.

It is nice and would be nice to provide that functionality in MacPorts
(or even better: upstream).

But I don't see how that would solve any of the problems. The problem
that this addresses is already solved with the muniversal PortGroup
and has never really been an issue.

Mojca

PS: Unless this also provides support for "-arch ppc". But even then
... cross-compiling C++11 sources on 10.6 for 10.5/PPC in a way that
will link to system stdlib? Nah, next year I'll drop the upstream ppc
binaries and advice users to install the same software via MacPorts
which will have perfect C++11 support via gcc-7 by then :) :) :).