mcrypt failure?

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Mon Aug 28 17:05:01 UTC 2017

On 2017-08-24 22:50, Richard L. Hamilton wrote:
> Attempting
> mcrypt  -a  enigma  --keymode  scrypt --bare --decrypt </tmp/test
>
> with a file containing "testing\n" and encrypted (via old Unix crypt(1)) with key "abcdefg", I get the response
>
> File /tmp/test was NOT decrypted successfully.
>
> The same procedure works on CentOS, Ubuntu, and Cygwin, at least.  Why is it failing with the MacPorts installation of mcrypt (on Sierra)?

Apparently you also need to add the option --no-openpgp, as mcrypt
otherwise expects input in the OpenPGP format.

  $ mcrypt -a enigma -o scrypt --bare --decrypt --no-openpgp < /tmp/test
  Enter passphrase:

  testing
  Stdin was decrypted.

I don't know if this behavior is controlled by a configure option and
also could not spot any difference in a quick comparison with the Debian
package. No idea what what causes this.

Rainer