mcrypt failure?

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Tue Aug 29 14:21:05 UTC 2017

> On Aug 28, 2017, at 13:05, Rainer Müller <raimue at macports.org> wrote:
>
> On 2017-08-24 22:50, Richard L. Hamilton wrote:
>> Attempting
>> mcrypt  -a  enigma  --keymode  scrypt --bare --decrypt </tmp/test
>>
>> with a file containing "testing\n" and encrypted (via old Unix crypt(1)) with key "abcdefg", I get the response
>>
>> File /tmp/test was NOT decrypted successfully.
>>
>> The same procedure works on CentOS, Ubuntu, and Cygwin, at least.  Why is it failing with the MacPorts installation of mcrypt (on Sierra)?
>
> Apparently you also need to add the option --no-openpgp, as mcrypt
> otherwise expects input in the OpenPGP format.
>
>  $ mcrypt -a enigma -o scrypt --bare --decrypt --no-openpgp < /tmp/test
>  Enter passphrase:
>
>  testing
>  Stdin was decrypted.
>
> I don't know if this behavior is controlled by a configure option and
> also could not spot any difference in a quick comparison with the Debian
> package. No idea what what causes this.
>
> Rainer

Thanks; that does work, although it seems odd that it wasn't necessary on any other platform (CentOS, Ubuntu, Solaris 11) I tried mcrypt on.

I do see that it's not an unknown issue  https://sourceforge.net/p/mcrypt/patches/11/ <https://sourceforge.net/p/mcrypt/patches/11/>

Perhaps the others had a patch for that which wasn't accepted/incorporated back into the distributed version.