running macports along with homebrew

Umesh Singla umeshksingla at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 12:55:26 UTC 2017

I am using both homebrew and macports with *default* settings. My current
$PATH is:

echo $PATH

/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/local/gradle/gradle-2.11/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/X11/bin

It simply looks for the packages in the default macports directory
(/opt/local) first and then others, I guess. Though I constantly run into
problems with different versions of pythons I have installed and need to
specify the path every time. Nonetheless, it works.

But I have seen many people getting into problems like this. This one guy
came up with a script [0] to wrap macports executables with the appropriate
environment before using them. I think this is what you might be looking
for. I haven't checked the script thoroughly but seems doable.

I was thinking of simply modifying the PATH var in .bashrc though.

[0]:
https://www.topbug.net/blog/2013/10/23/use-both-homebrew-and-macports-on-your-os-x/

- Umesh

Umesh Singla