running macports along with homebrew

db iamsudo at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 12:08:26 UTC 2017

I searched the docs, the list's archive and stackexchange amongst other sources for sort of a best practice for running macports along with homebrew, to no avail.

From those I gathered that the only problem one could run into, it seems, would be at build time — hence some advise on changing the PATH possibly with a script while building or upgrading.

Besides missing ports and updated versions, what appeals to me from homebrew is cask (I have to read its documentation though), which could even install macports. What it doesn't: ruby, learning the peculiarities of another package manager and the whole Schraderbräu lingo.

Is anyone actually using both package managers that could advise on a best way to run them together?