running macports along with homebrew

db iamsudo at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 14:10:58 UTC 2017

On 29 Aug 2017, at 14:55, Umesh Singla <umeshksingla at gmail.com> wrote:
> /opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/local/gradle/gradle-2.11/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/X11/bin
>
> It simply looks for the packages in the default macports directory (/opt/local) first and then others, I guess. Though I constantly run into problems with different versions of pythons I have installed and need to specify the path every time. Nonetheless, it works.

You mean python installed by macports or manually by you?

> This one guy came up with a script [0] to wrap macports executables with the appropriate environment before using them. I think this is what you might be looking for.

I saw that workaround too, but it seems much of a hassle.

I read that the defaults should work, with the caveat of tools picking wrong versions from /usr/local/ at build time when using macports, which eventually could be circumvented in trace mode.

I was thinking of adding a different path for homebrew to link its binaries from, but I haven't checked the docs if it's possible.