running macports along with homebrew

Umesh Singla umeshksingla at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 17:27:55 UTC 2017

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 7:40 PM, db <iamsudo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 29 Aug 2017, at 14:55, Umesh Singla <umeshksingla at gmail.com> wrote:
> > /opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/local/gradle/gradle-
> 2.11/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/X11/bin
> >
> > It simply looks for the packages in the default macports directory
> (/opt/local) first and then others, I guess. Though I constantly run into
> problems with different versions of pythons I have installed and need to
> specify the path every time. Nonetheless, it works.
>
> You mean python installed by macports or manually by you?

Installed by me, using macports. Like pip becomes a pain and have to
install a different pip using macports then or change a path etc..

> > This one guy came up with a script [0] to wrap macports executables with
> the appropriate environment before using them. I think this is what you
> might be looking for.
>
> I saw that workaround too, but it seems much of a hassle.
>
> I read that the defaults should work, with the caveat of tools picking
> wrong versions from /usr/local/ at build time when using macports, which
> eventually could be circumvented in trace mode.

Homebrew doesn't really tell the reason or write about linking the binaries
to a different path, but do warn about not doing it and installing instead
to /usr/local [1]. The philosophy I see behind homebrew is to get
everything "just work".

> I was thinking of adding a different path for homebrew to link its
> binaries from, but I haven't checked the docs if it's possible.

I am afraid you end up adding an alias for each binary if homebrew doesn't
have such an option.

[1]: https://github.com/Homebrew/brew/blob/master/docs/Installation.md

- Umesh