Looking for ideas

Arno Hautala arno at alum.wpi.edu
Mon Dec 11 18:59:06 UTC 2017

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 12:54 PM, William H. Magill <magill at mac.com> wrote:

> The .doc and text files require another step — namely saving (printing) them as a PDF file first.

I've seen a few tips on using Automator with Microsoft Word to convert
Word documents to PDF, but they seem rather kludgy. Alternatively, try
LibreOffice:
https://apple.stackexchange.com/a/250554

The rendering you get might not be ideal, but for most documents it's
probably fine.

> Sadly, I have never used Apple’s Automator, and don’t even know if it still exists, let alone if it would be the tool to use.

Automator or AppleScript should be fine. I'd personally probably use a
shell script, but that's just preference. That StackExchange post
discusses Automator and I think you can record your actions in
Automator and AppleScript (Script Editor.app)

> I also have no idea what mailing lists or websites now exist for such queries.

Pour one out for MacOS X Hints.

There is also the MacOSX-Talk group: macosx-talk at omnigroup.com
It's pretty low volume these days, but the sporadic questions do
generate discussion.

Maybe, Reddit?

arno  s  hautala    /-|   arno at alum.wpi.edu

pgp b2c9d448