GIMP native Quartz

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Dec 11 21:40:47 UTC 2017

On Dec 11, 2017, at 03:21, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> I wanted to build Leopard on my 10.5 MacBook and perhaps also on my other Macs.
> gimp.org provide binaries that work on 10.6 and up and run natively without X11. I use them with quite some success on my 10.6.8 Mac.
> The way of installing through MacPorts is recommended by GIMP.org itself.
>
> I tried installing with +no_x11 but I still get all X11 dependencies pulled in.
> I wonder if I still get the "quarts" version and the dependencies come from a dependent package or not. Can they be avoided?

The "+no_x11" variant is a hack MacPorts used a decade or more ago, because of a deficiency of MacPorts base that would not record in the registry any variants the user had requested to disable (only those the user had requested to enable). That deficiency was fixed a long time ago, so these days portfiles would not be written so that you would have to *enable* a no_x11 variant; instead you would *disable* the x11 variant. I find no ports remaining in our collection today containing the no_x11 variant.

If what you really want is Quartz, then you would enable the quartz variant, which should have the effect in a well-written portfile of automatically disabling the x11 variant. Ideally, that would not pull in any X11 dependencies. Some ports have an x11 variant but do not have a quartz variant. If you want those ports to shed their X11 dependencies (and features) too, you should also disable the x11 variant. On my system, "port rdeps gimp2 +quartz -x11" shows no X11 dependencies, so maybe "sudo port install gimp2 +quartz -x11" will accomplish what you want.

> Also, apple-gcc42, clang-3.4, gcc6 and gcc7 get installed! That is quite hefty!

That's the price you pay for using an operating system so old that its latest Xcode does not contain any modern compilers. When build problems are reported to us that are determined to have been caused by using a too-old compiler, the port is updated to blacklist that too-old compiler, and MacPorts chooses the next best alternative. So you should feel assured that when MacPorts installs a compiler when you request to install another port, that compiler is required to install that port on your computer.

> Furthermore I wonder if it will build on 10.5? I would find it extremely nice.
> And 10.4 + PPC? :)

You will just have to try it out and see. We do not do any automated builds on 10.4, and although we do automated builds on 10.5 and later, we don't have a way to query that system to see if a particular port built on a particular OS. If a port built and is distributable, its binary will have been uploaded to http://packages.macports.org so you can check there. But gimp2 is not distributable so you won't find it there even if it built successfully.