GIMP native Quartz

Riccardo Mottola riccardo.mottola at libero.it
Tue Dec 12 23:50:33 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 2017-12-12 21:51:45 +0100 Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org> wrote:

> Usually Trac is better unless you really don't know what to do.
> cmake was built successfully on the buildbot.

Ok... fine... I will open an issue on track. I don't see an obvious
error I understand so I ask help.
Does the buildbot run 10.5 x86?

> The apple-gcc42 compiler is required to bootstrap everything. The
> other two, gcc6 and gcc7 might indeed come from different ports asking
> for different compilers, partially for the fact that not all of them
> switched to the latest version yet, partially because for a very long
> time gcc7 has actually been completely broken on 10.5/ppc. One of the
> gcc compilers (6 or 7) might have a chance to be removed, but
> apple-gcc42 is pretty important unless we start providing
> bootstrapping packages one day.

Thanks for the explanation. My Xcode actually comes with gcc-42 so I
was wondering why.
Perhaps because there are diferent Xcode versions for 10.5 and you
want to be sure to have a consistent compiler? or is it any way
different? It looks just a slightly newer build.

Koreander:tenfourfox-orig multix$ gcc-4.2 --version
i686-apple-darwin9-gcc-4.2.1 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5577)
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There
is NO
PURPOSE.

Koreander:tenfourfox-orig multix$ gcc-apple-4.2 --version
i686-apple-darwin9-gcc-apple-4.2.1 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5666)
(dot 3) (MacPorts apple-gcc42 5666.3_15+universal)
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There
is NO
PURPOSE.

>> Anyway, luckily, for this project, I bought a new HDD for the old
>> MacBook,
>> so I have 500MB of space :)
>
> I hope you meant 500 GB?

Yes of course, it would have been a downgrade otherwise :) A modern
HDD is quite nice to use compared to the old small one, it is faster.
I also tried an SSD: it proved quite fast, but then from time to time
the MacBook would show a spinning ball, not a real "freeze" since it
would operate extremely slow and sometimes recover. I did not
understand why it happened. I read that some SATA3 drives have issues
being backward compatible, but that would explain that I could build
for hours without a hiccup.
I think "swap" was an issue and also awakeing from sleep.

Just sharing my experience, this is quite off topic.

Riccardo