selfupdate error

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Thu Feb 2 17:07:23 UTC 2017

On 2017-02-02 17:40, pof at uvic.ca wrote:
> The "sudo port -d selfupdate" on my machine is failing with a
> "command execution failed" error.  I have attached a gzip'd terminal
> output from the command.  I suspect this is almost certainly due
> to an issue with my own setup since I have seen no other similar
> problems posted in the archives, but any help in resolving the
> issue would be appreciated since I have so far been unable to
> resolve the bug.  I'm running Sierra 10.12.3, with Xcode 8.2.1.

This has been reported before and unfortunately it is an upgrade path we
did not expect or test. rsync does not preserve these symlinks.

Edit your /opt/local/etc/macports.conf and change the rsync_dir from the
previous release/base to release/tarballs/base.tar. Or better yet, just
comment it out as this has been the default for quite a while.

rsync_dir    release/tarballs/base.tar

I recommend to review all other options and compare them with the
defaults provided in macports.conf.default right next to it.

Rainer