macports-users Digest, Vol 126, Issue 12

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 21:02:04 UTC 2017

At least until such time as I need Greek letters in diagrams, I fixed the Inkscape problem by temporarily deleting Greek from the OS System Preferences > Language & Region “Preferred languages”; opening Inkscape, whose menus are now in English; and in the Inkscape preferences, change the language from System to the particular one I wanted, namely, English; then in OS System Preferences added Greek back as a secondary language.

> On Feb 13, 2017, at 3:26 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 3:23 PM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com <mailto:murrayeisenberg at gmail.com>> wrote:
> BUT… all the menus for Inkscape are in Greek.  (I’ll post that as a separate query.)
>
> That's been reported before and seems to be an unexpected interaction involving how recent OS X's multiple language support is made visible to BSD APIs (as distinct from Cocoa APIs). IIRC the workaround is to only have one language selected in the Language prefpane.
>
> --
> brandon s allbery kf8nh                               sine nomine associates
> allbery.b at gmail.com <mailto:allbery.b at gmail.com>                                  ballbery at sinenomine.net <mailto:ballbery at sinenomine.net>
> unix, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure, xmonad        http://sinenomine.net <http://sinenomine.net/>
---
Murray Eisenberg			murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
503 King Farm Blvd #101	Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334