XQuartz issues [was: Re: Inkscape @0.92.0_3+x11 does not work under macOS Sierra]

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 21:14:37 UTC 2017

I wrote too hastily about how I fixed XQuartz to cooperate with Inkscape (and RStudio’s Rcmdr).

I think I’ve tracked down the source of the XQuartz trouble to file

    ~/.xinitrc.d/90-gnome.sh

which has contents:

    # make the freedesktop menu entries work
    export XDG_DATA_DIRS=/opt/local/share
    export XDG_DATA_HOME=/opt/local/share
    export XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/opt/local/etc/xdg

    # enable sound
    export ESPEAKER=localhost

    # use Apple's window manager
    exec quartz-wm &

    # start GNOME
    exec gnome-session

(That file was installed as part of some macports gnome-related port, I believe.)

That apparently interferes with XQuartz; removing that .sh file (or just giving it a different extension) allows XQuartz to function normally.

Now the question is what port installed that file and what will happen without the file.

> On Feb 13, 2017, at 3:23 PM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Inkscape (and Rcmdr inside Studio) are now cooperating with XQuartz. Not sure why, but the only change I made is to reorder my path so that the macports python path comes before the anaconda python path.  Could that have done it?)
>
> BUT… all the menus for Inkscape are in Greek.  (I’ll post that as a separate query.)
>

>> On Feb 13, 2017, at 7:00 AM, macports-users-request at lists.macports.org <mailto:macports-users-request at lists.macports.org> wrote:
>>
>> Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2017 12:42:57 -0500
>> From: Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com <mailto:murrayeisenberg at gmail.com>>
>> To: Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org <mailto:ryandesign at macports.org>>
>> Cc: MacPorts Users <macports-users at lists.macports.org <mailto:macports-users at lists.macports.org>>
>> Subject: Re: Inkscape @0.92.0_3+x11 does not work under macOS Sierra
>> 	10.12.3!
>>
>> I did install port inkscape-app and I get the same behavior — the incessant appearance and disappearance of the XQuartz icon in the Dock, and NO Inscape window or items in the menu bar — as when I tried running inkscape from command line.
>>
>> I do see an Inkscape icon in the Dock, but it does not have the tell-tale dot under it to indicate the app is open.
>>
>> [I’m beginning to suspect an XQuartz problem, as I’m getting the same issue with the XQuartz icon when I try to run rCmdr from within RStudio after giving the RStudio command quartz(). so I completely uninstalled XQuartz and reinstalled. No change!]
>>
>> Not sure what the “usual place” means for crash logs.

>>> It's been working for me.
>>>
>>> Maybe it's crashing for you. Can you check if there are any crash logs, in the usual place?
>>>

> ---
> Murray Eisenberg			murrayeisenberg at gmail.com <mailto:murrayeisenberg at gmail.com>
> 503 King Farm Blvd #101	Home (240)-246-7240
> Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334

---
Murray Eisenberg			murrayeisenberg at gmail.com