Surf port

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Mon Feb 27 08:49:02 UTC 2017

On 27 February 2017 at 04:43, Justin C. Walker wrote:
> On Feb 26, 2017, at 18:05 , Christopher Stone wrote:
>> On Feb 26, 2017, at 19:57, Justin C. Walker wrote:
>>> Now, "port info" denies any knowledge of the port.
>>
>> Hey Justin,
>>
>> Try search instead of info:
>>
>> port search "surf"

For "surf" itself see:
- https://trac.macports.org/ticket/52734
- https://trac.macports.org/ticket/52735

This is for http://surf.sourceforge.net/

If you really want to install surf, you can fetch the old Portfiles
for GTK1 and surf from the SVN/GIT history, but you'll be mostly on
your own in case of build failures.

(The best bet here would be to take the sources of surf and port it to
GTK 2 or 3 or some other framework.)

> Thanks for this.  As I said, "infrequent".
>
> I was able to find and start the build of k3dsurf on two systems, but both crapped out:
>
> 10.6.8: a bunch of complaints like this:
> in "...tools/qcstring.cpp":
> :info:build kernel/qpngio.cpp: In function ‘void setup_qt(QImage&, png_struct*, png_info*, float)’:
> :info:build kernel/qpngio.cpp:131: error: invalid use of incomplete type ‘struct png_info_def’
>
> and one of this form:
> :info:build kernel/qpngio.cpp: In function ‘void qt_zlib_compression_hack()’:
> :info:build kernel/qpngio.cpp:1246: error: ‘compress’ was not declared in this scope
> :info:build kernel/qpngio.cpp:1247: error: ‘uncompress’ was not declared in this scope
>
> 10.11.6: the port is only buildable on 10.6 and earlier (in "qt-mac-free-3.3.8b/src/tools/global.h") AFAICT.  The logic there seems strange, and I can't find where MAC_OS_X_VERSION_MAX_ALLOWED is defined.
>
> I'm using the Apple tool chain, FWIW, on both systems.
>
> There doesn't seem to be anything relevant on Trac regarding this.

k3dsurf is a different software with a similar goal:
    http://k3dsurf.sourceforge.net/
But both "surf" and "k3dsurf" seem pretty abandoned upstream.

The port k3dsurf depends on Qt3 and has no maintainer.

Qt3 won't compile on any newer OS and it makes no sense to start debugging that.

What you can do is:

- On 10.6: try to use a different / newer compiler to build k3dsurf,
for example:
    sudo port install k3dsurf configure.compiler=macports-clang-3.4

- On 10.11: edit the Portfile for k3dsurf and replace dependency on
qt3-mac with qt4-mac, check if that compiles. If k3dsurf doesn't work
with Qt 4 (which is possible, the last release seems to be from
2007/2009), there's no hope for this port and highly unlikely that any
MacPorts developer would be willing to fix it. If you cannot make
k3dsurf work with Qt 4, ask upstream.

Or simply download the binary:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/k3dsurf/files/k3dsurf_mac_exe/0.6.2/

> Should I file bugs?  I can provide logs if of interest.

You may file a bug, but unless it's possible to build k3dsurf against
Qt 4, the most we can do is fix the build on 10.6. And for ports that
don't work on newer OSes it's highly unlikely that anyone will look at
the bug unless you provide a patch that we can commit, so that it will
work out of the box next time you try. You can try a newer compiler.

We should probably explicitly disable building Qt 3 on newer OSes though.

Mojca