Inkscape 0.92.0 now available on MacPorts

David Evans devans at macports.org
Sat Jan 7 21:48:03 CET 2017

On 1/7/17 10:31 AM, Murray Eisenberg wrote:
> I have latest (2..7.11) XQuartz installed under macOS Sierra (10.12.2). I installed inkscape+quartz and insckape-app.
> When I either run inkscape from Terminal command line or from inkscape.app created by the latter, I see the XQiartz icon
> repeatedly appear and bounce in my Dock and then disappear. But I never see an Inkscape window.
>
> How to fix?

If the XQuartz server is being activated, that indicates that your program is issuing X11 protocol requests.  Thus, it
appears that you have not been successful in rebuilding all the necessary dependencies with +quartz instead of +x11.

Although I have been criticized for suggesting such a brute force approach, the most fool proof way I know of doing
this this transition successfully is the following:

sudo port deactivate active
sudo port install inkscape +quartz

or perhaps less clumsily

sudo port -f deactivate rdepof:inkscape and active
sudo port install inkscape +quartz

This is how I switch from one to the other for testing.

Note that a potential problem in trying to switch from +x11 to +quartz on a port by port basis is that you may now be
mixing installed ports that require +x11 and others that require +quartz that may have common dependencies that can only
be installed one way or the other.

Depending on what ports you often use, you may have to decide on whether you want a +quartz only installation or an +x11
one.

Dave