Inkscape 0.92.0 now available on MacPorts

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 23:20:01 CET 2017

Doing “sudo port deactivate active” would deactivate ALL my active ports, would it not? And given that I have scores active, it would be brutal to reactivate all of them,

I had originally installed inkscape with +quartz, which didn’t work. Then after uninstalling that I installed inkscape +x11, which also didn’t work!

I don’t understand syntax & semantics of:

   sudo port -f deactivate rdepof:inkscape and active

(I don’t find any mention of “rdepof” at guide.macports.org <http://guide.macports.org/>, and I need to be sure that the “and active” there really applies only to whatever it is that would match "rdepof:inkscape”.

I note the output from

            sudo port installed | grep quartz

is:

  cairo @1.14.8_0+quartz+x11 (active)
  pango @1.40.3_1+quartz+x11 (active)
  tk @8.6.6_0+quartz (active)

And I have a huge number of ports that depend on cairo.

So still question is what to do.

> On Jan 7, 2017, at 4:48 PM, David Evans <devans at macports.org> wrote:
>
> On 1/7/17 10:31 AM, Murray Eisenberg wrote:
>> I have latest (2..7.11) XQuartz installed under macOS Sierra (10.12.2). I installed inkscape+quartz and insckape-app.
>> When I either run inkscape from Terminal command line or from inkscape.app created by the latter, I see the XQiartz icon
>> repeatedly appear and bounce in my Dock and then disappear. But I never see an Inkscape window.
>>
>> How to fix?
>
> If the XQuartz server is being activated, that indicates that your program is issuing X11 protocol requests.  Thus, it
> appears that you have not been successful in rebuilding all the necessary dependencies with +quartz instead of +x11.
>
> Although I have been criticized for suggesting such a brute force approach, the most fool proof way I know of doing
> this this transition successfully is the following:
>
> sudo port deactivate active
> sudo port install inkscape +quartz
>
> or perhaps less clumsily
>
> sudo port -f deactivate rdepof:inkscape and active
> sudo port install inkscape +quartz
>
> This is how I switch from one to the other for testing.
>
> Note that a potential problem in trying to switch from +x11 to +quartz on a port by port basis is that you may now be
> mixing installed ports that require +x11 and others that require +quartz that may have common dependencies that can only
> be installed one way or the other.
>
> Depending on what ports you often use, you may have to decide on whether you want a +quartz only installation or an +x11
> one.
>
> Dave

---
Murray Eisenberg			murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
503 King Farm Blvd #101	Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334